Saturday, August 1, 2009

English Scones & Devonshire Cream

I love to bake and I made scones last week. They were very good and my family enjoyed eating them. I hope you will enjoy them too. I didn't take pictures of the scones after I made them. I forgot, but next time I will take pictures of my next baking project.

Scones:
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sultanas ( white raisins) or currants
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 egg(for glaze)


Devonshire Cream:

1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup whipping cream (or dream whip)
4 teaspoons confectioners sugar
1/4 teaspoons vanilla

Scones: Sift together flour, baking powder and sugar.Rub in butter until mixture is fine. Beat egg with milk; stir in raisins. Add to flour mixture, mix to make a dough. Roll out dough 3/4-inch thick; cut rounds with a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter. Brush rounds with beaten eggs; place on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then 350 degrees for 5 more minutes. When ready to serve, cut in half and serve with Devonshire cream and your favorite jam or jelly.

Devonshire Cream:
Beat cream cheese in a small mixer bowl unti light and fluffy. Beat in whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour before serving with scones.

Delicious!

1 comment:

Patricia Strickland said...

I love this recipe ..my mother was born in Surrey,England and made scones when i was a child on Prince Edward Island,Canada.