Friday, April 9, 2010

Yummy Tortillas!


I am making my own whole wheat tortillas now! They are delicious and easy! My family loves them! When it is time for lunch my brothers always ask me to make them some. They like to dip them in my homemade salsa that my mom taught me to make. I will give you the recipe for my salsa too. I like to make bean and cheese buritos with the tortillas that I make . Now here is the recipe:

Whole Wheat Tortillas

6 cups of whole wheat flour
2 cups of water minus 6 tablespoons, plus 6 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar (or you can just put 2 cups of water if you don't have any raw apple cider vinegar)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 cups extra virgin oil

In a bowl mix all the ingredients. Then take the dough out of the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for about 2-4 minutes. Divide dough in 32 parts for little tortillas or 24 parts for large tortillas. Roll each part into a ball and put it on a cutting board or any flat surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten out (this takes practice) Place on a griddle ( put the gridle on medium heat ) and let each side cook for 30 seconds or until ready.

Soaking: We soak all of our whole grains. This means that we prepare the dough a day ahead and let it soak overnight in the wet ingredients. I will write more about this later since I don't know too much about it, but my mom does. I'll ask her to explain it more clearly to me. Right now, it's just something she has taught me to do. She does say that the tortillas will be more nutritious and easy for your body to digest if the grains are soaked overnight.


Homemade Salsa

1/2 of a onion
2 cloves of garlic
6 whole red dried chili peppers or more if you like it hot or less if you want very mild hot salsa
4 cups of tomatoes sauce ( if it is to hot then add a little more)
salt and a little pepper to taste

You can add more water if you like a more watery salsa or if you like it thick leave it as is. We like our salsa thick.

Boil the onions ,garlic and chili peppers with 1/2 a cup of water until the onions are soft. Put it all in the blender and add the tomato sauce. Then blend till smooth.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Efraim Valverde II said...

To my precious granddaughter, I can't wait to taste your tortillas and salsa. Time is passing fast We will soon be with you. Love, Grandma Rena

Naomi said...

That looks really yummy and easy! Great job!

Allison said...

Thanks for posting the recipe Marisa!
We're making them probably tomorrow!
Thanks again!
-Allison