Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My First Sewing Project

The Project Challenge:
Create a set of matching pillowcases for our front porch chairs.

Here we have two mismatched useless pillows.


Material on hand: an old full size bed skirt that once belonged to my brother.


Learning sewing machine basics.
To begin with, my mom taught me how to thread our sewing machine.

She also showed me how to thread and use the bobbin.

My mom went over the basics of setting tension levels and stitch length.

Cutting off the elastic of the bed skirt.

More trimming.

Practice sewing on scraps.

Pinning two pieces of the bed skirt together to make a wider piece.

All nicely stitched together and ready to sew into a pillow case.


The first pillowcase is ready. The pillow fit well after a few adjustments and the bottom opening was sewed together. Beautiful!


The next day: Repeating the same steps to complete the second pillowcase.

Sewing up the pinned sides.

The completed pillows on our front porch. My mom thinks they look wonderful and so do I!

My mom is now giving me sewing lessons and sewing projects to work on. Last week my Mom showed me how to use her sewing machine and I started my first project. My first project was to make pillowcases for two mismatched pillows. My mom wanted the pillows for two of our front porch chairs. I had a lot of fun working on this project and I can't wait to learn more. My next project will be to make doll clothes for my Samantha doll that my grandma bought me. I am excited!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! They look lovely!